What is Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty or nose surgery is a surgical operation that allows you to change the shape of the nose, correcting hereditary or post-traumatic asymmetry.
Ideal candidate for nose surgery?
One of the most common grounds for recommending this procedure is an irregular curvature of the nasal septum. The main causes of this problem may be:
- Physiological leading to uneven growth of cartilage and bone tissue of the septum
- Traumatic as in birth trauma, falls, etc.
- Deformation of the septum due to the presence of other pathological formations in the nasal cavity
The curvature of the nasal septum leads to several pathological changes in the body. The redirected airflow hits the mucous membrane in a certain place, where the loss of cilia occurs and the process of cleansing from foreign particles and mucus is disrupted. The result is not only the formation of crusts of dried mucus but also constant nasal congestion, as well as the development of rhinitis.
What is the best age to get rhinoplasty?
There is an opinion that rhinoplasty is an operation that can only be done in youth, and it is not performed for older patients. This is not entirely true! Rhinoplasty is really popular among young patients, but there is no upper age limit for its application.Get rid of nose deformities to achieve beautiful facial look.
In this operation, both general and local anaesthesia can be used. Depending on the situation, the surgeon can choose an open or closed method which will be performed with or without an incision on the bridge between the nostrils. The main advantage of the open method is the ability to visually control all changes; the main disadvantage is a small scar after the operation. The closed method is less controllable, but no traces remain after it. Both cases involve setting up vestibular incisions on the inner surface of the nasal passage, practically at the edge of the nostril.
In some cases, when restoring the nasal septum after unsuccessful operations or injuries, it is necessary to reconstruct the cartilage tissue. In such operations, the patient himself becomes a donor and the tissues taken from the auricle or costal cartilage are perfectly engrafted.
Pros and cons related to kinds of rhinoplasty
- Significantly expands the range of surgical capabilities and makes it possible to correct pronounced defects.
- Open rhinoplasty is more often chosen by surgeons to correct results after unsuccessful operations; change the shape of the nose, if necessary; install grafts, or align the nasal septum.
- The operation takes 2-4 hours on average.
- After such an operation, no visible scars remain since all incisions are made on the mucous membrane inside the nose. The operation is practically bloodless.
- Minimal risk of deformation and predictable results.
- The operation lasts on average 1.5-2 hours instead of 3 hours when using open access.
- In any case, only a plastic surgeon at a preoperative consultation will be able to choose the option that is right for you.
The results are permanent
A very common question about rhinoplasty may be, is nose surgery permanent? You can get what you are looking for through this procedure and the results will last a lifetime! Rhinoplasty is not an easy operation. Recovery will require patience, and attention from you, but its results will remain with you forever.
The human nose has a three-dimensional structure. All the components are subjected; therefore, rhinoplasty is considered one of the most difficult plastic surgeries for both the patient in recovery and for the surgeon it is a test of his experience and technique. It is not always possible to predict the result in advance, which also presents a certain difficulty. You will be able to evaluate the results of nose surgery in a first examination approximately 3 weeks after the operation. The operated nose surgery will take on its final shape in 6 months.
How to shorten the recovery period:Nose Surgery?
In order for recovery to go as quickly as possible, you need to take care of yourself and observe time limits:
Necessary Steps After Nose Surgery:
- Give up coffee, soda and lemon tea for 10 days
- no aspirin
- During the first 10 days, you should not take a bath or hot shower.
- Before removing the splint, you cannot blow your nose.
- Sleep on your back with your head raised on a pillow; you can also use a roller pillow for comfort.
- For 1 month after the operation, you cannot play sports, wash floors or carry bags from the store.
- Do not remove the stitches on your own, in any case, the doctor will remove them for 5-7 days.
- Don’t wear glasses for 6 months
- do not forget to eat food rich in proteins, but for 4 weeks after the operation, limit the amount of fatty, salty and spicy foods. Drink plenty of water, and take walks in the fresh air.
- Avoid food which contains rich amount of protein
- Avoid to eat spicy food
- Don’t touch the stiches as it may hurt you
- Avoid to take part in sports
- Don’t take hot shower as it may hurt your stiches